The United States recently received a recognition no one wanted. The U.S. has more people diagnosed with an STD than ever before. Dr. Jonathan Mermin, director of the CDC’s National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatits, STD, and TB Prevention says, “Increases in STDs are a clear warning of a growing threat… STDs are a persistent enemy, growing in number, and outpacing our ability to respond.”
The question I asked myself when I saw these statistics was, “What role can the Pregnancy Medical Center play?” It seems to me that PMC’s could make an important, life-affirming impact in their communities. STD testing, treatment, and counseling could be one of them.
Some questions to ask within your clinic:
- Do you believe STD testing, treatment and counseling are within the scope of care for a life-affirming clinic?
- Do you already have access to medical personnel capable of handling an STD program
- Where do the women and men in your community go to be tested and treated?
- What messages are the alternative clinics giving in regard to sexual integrity?
- Do you think the current STD prevention programs out there are doing an effective job? (Can any program that doesn’t include sexual integrity truly be effective?)
- What would be the negative aspects of having an STD program in your clinic?
- If your clinic already tests and treats, is the messaging to the community you serve effective?
If you’re thinking about an STD program in your clinic and want to explore your options, call us. Sparrow Solutions Group can help you think through this service and even set up a life-affirming STD test/treat and counseling program that could impact your community.
Director of Nurse Operations
Sparrow Solutions Group